As Freemasonry in Pennsylvania grew, taverns became too crowded to host meetings of the Grand Lodge. The year 1755 marked the opening of the Freemason’s Lodge, the first dedicated meeting space for Masons in the Western Hemisphere. During the Revolutionary War years, the building was utilized as a jail for suspected loyalists. It was sold in 1785 due to financial difficulties the fraternity and many others faced post-Revolutionary War. After the building was sold, Masons held meetings in a variety of places, including homes, the historic Quaker Meeting House and even Independence Hall!